Astoria Crest Motel Owners Don West, Wendy West, and Marshall Doyle in front of the motel property which serves as a Lewis and Clark interprative viewpoint in Astoria, Oregon
Overlooking the mouth of the Columbia River in Astoria, Oregon is the Astoria Crest Motel, where in 1805, Lewis and Clark’s Corps of Discovery took in the very same majestic view as they journeyed to their future winter camp in nearby Fort Clatsop. Originally known as the Crest Motel when it first opened its doors in 1952, the property had gradually fallen into a state of disrepair and was at risk of being shuttered in 2014. Air Force veteran and entrepreneur Marshall Doyle and his wife Patricia, along with business partner Don West and his wife Wendy, saw this as an opportunity to save a local treasure and strengthen the community. They knew in order to turn their dream into a reality they needed access to capital to purchase the property.